The holidays are coming, and soon your house will be filled with the sound of family, friends, and trick-or-treaters at your door – as well as the smell of delicious food wafting from the kitchen. With all the excitement and distractions, it’s easy for your dog to get into things that aren’t safe for them. It is really important for you, and your guests, to know what is safe and not safe for your pet to eat (especially when they’re sneaking them table scraps).
These foods are safe to give to your dog. Be sure to read the information for each one thoroughly!
These foods are toxic to dogs. Do not offer to any canine and call poison control immediately if you think they have eaten any of the below. Emergency Phone Numbers
The severity of chocolate poisoning varies depending on the size of the dog, how much chocolate the dog has ingested, and how much cocoa was in the chocolate. The chemical theobromine is very difficult for dogs to metabolize which allows it to build up to toxic levels in their system.
Now, if you accidentally drop an M&M on the ground and your dog scoops it up, they will be fine. But if they get into your Halloween or Christmas candy you should seek medical help immediately!
Signs of chocolate poisoning are:
Keep in mind that food containing chocolate can also contain other toxins like Xylitol, macadamia nuts, raisins, or coffee beans which increases the chance of your dog getting severely ill.
Please note that this list contains only a small portion of what is safe and not safe for your dogs to consume. Always consult your veterinarian before giving your dog anything you are unsure of. Every dog is different. Size and breed will also play key roles in what's best for your dog.
If you feel like your dog has gotten a hold of something – and you are not sure of the effects it will have – contact animal poison control immediately.